Sunday 10 June 2012

Penguin NOTD!

Hello!

So a couple of days ago Leanne sent me an email with a photo attached of someones nails with penguins on the nails....and as penguins are my favourite animals I knew I just HAD to have a go. The original picture (which I would post on here but I don't know who to give credit to and I don't want to get into trouble...) was done with a pale blue background with the penguins on the index and ring finger and the orange was more of an apricot colour. I really liked the picture but as I like to use pictures more for inspiration rather than to directly copy them, I decided to go with a classic penguin look...


I used Rimmel 60 Second in 800 Black Out for the base colour and I did this the night before so that it was completely dry for the white colour to go on. The white is an LCN one that came in one of my Jolie Boxes but doesn't have a colour name on it. Doing a little google search, I think it might be one of the "Free Your Mind" collection which is called 331 Free Your Mind. It's a gorgeous white shade with an amazing shimmer going through it. I wasn't sure when I first got it and actually left it in the box for about 2 months but now I've completely fallen in love with it! I was going to use my ELF white polish but I loved the thought of a little shimmer for the penguin body! I did these free hand and as I'm not an amazing artist they aren't as round as they probably could be but I was a little impressed with my efforts! The eyes I did with the same black and I just used a dotting tool for these (I say "dotting tool"...my lovely Mum recently got a new embossing tool for her card making and let me use her old one for my nail art. It's double ended so you can get small dots and larger dots and is amazing for nail art! It kind of looks like this) The orange is a 17 limited edition Miami Pop colour in Down Town. I did the beaks by putting a bit of polish on a cocktail stick and pressing it onto my nail gently (I'm sure there is a better way to do this, but I did this early this morning and I couldn't think of anything else to use!) For the feet I just used the bigger side of my dotting tool.

Obviously my nails needed a bit more of a tidy up, which I did before work/picked at my nails at work (it was fairly dead this morning...) but what do you guys think? I'm not going to lie, I think they are SUPER cute!! I bloody love penguins so was so happy at work today being able to look down at these cheeky little cuties! I did the same with my other hand too and I'm trying to think about other animals I could paint on my nails.....or other designs....any ideas??

Until next time,
xoxo

6 comments:

  1. I saw nails like these on the Republic nail art competition and they even won! I loved them then and to be honest yours are even better, well done :)

    Alice

    www.SecretsOfAWannabeCharlotte.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah...maybe that's where my friend found the picture! They were super cute and I love trying out new designs! Thanks for the lovely comment :)

      (also, having just had a little look at your blog, I also used to use a kirby grip for nail art until getting my "dotting tool". They're so handy and always lying around anyway)

      Delete
  2. Aww, this is so cute! And it looks like even I could do it! I would love to see if you have a go at other animals :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lot easier than I thought it would be, you should have a go! I'd love to see the results if you do!

      Delete
  3. Oh, this is such a great idea, Robyn! I wish I was as good as you and could actually do this myself;-))))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) You should have a go! I'm absolutely useless at drawing but it was so easy, honestly!

      Delete

Feel free to leave a comment, I love reading them and try to respond to all of them!